Autumn 2 learning 2020
Y2 Home Learning – Autumn 2
This is for you to access to support your child’s learning. Input on Google any of the objectives below to find appropriate and relatable activities.
English – Our current expectations for Autumn 2 are for children to be confident and competent in each of the objectives below:
- Write different sentences using a capital letter, finger spaces, a full stop and the joining words and or because.
- Use commas to separate items in a list.
- Recognise and write different types of sentences (statements, commands, exclamations and questions).
- Make a list of words that contain graphemes from the phase 5 sound mat.
- Use the words from your list and put them into interesting sentences.
- Read your home reading book and find examples of words containing the graphemes from the sound mat.
Maths – Our current expectations for Autumn 2 are for children to be confident and competent in each of the objectives below:
- Count to and across 100, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number.
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words.
- Count in steps of 2, 3 and 5 from 0.
- Count in steps of 10 from any number, forwards and backwards (7, 17, 27, 37).
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20.
- Add and subtract two 2 digit numbers to 100.
- Recognise 2D and 3D shapes and their properties, including the number of faces, edges and vertices.
Any activity/activities that you complete in relation to these objectives need to be recorded in the book provided or sent in via the class email which is accessed through our school website.
Science – This half term we are learning about ‘human bodies’.
- Watch the given videos on BBC bitesize all about the human body:
- Get your helper to draw around your body and label as many different body parts as you can.
- Find out as many facts as you can about the human skeleton. Present your information in an interesting way.
History- This half term we are learning about ‘The Great Fire of London’.
- Watch the video on YouTube about The Great Fire of London:
- Write about the main events of The Great Fire of London.
- Make a timeline showing when the following events happened:
- The fire ended
- St Paul’s Cathedral burnt down
- People escaped on boats across the River Thames
- The fire started
- The fire spread from house to house
- Think of some questions about The Great Fire of London and write them down. Find out the answers with your helper.
- Imagine you lived on Pudding Lane in 1666. Write a diary entry. How were you feeling? What was happening? Who were you with? What could you see, hear and smell?
Computing – This half term we are learning about the importance of computers and the internet to communicate.
- Make a list of all the different ways we can communicate with one another.
- Using your helpers email, compose your own questions that you would like to ask your class teacher and send them.
- Email a letter to Santa using:
DT – This half term we are looking at making healthy foods.
- Design and make a healthy sandwich.
- Design and make a healthy pizza.
- Take a photograph of your healthy food and send it to your class teacher.
- State 1 thing you liked about your food and 1 thing you would change.
Art – This half term we are looking at using cold colours.
- Discuss with your helper which colours are our cold colours.
- Create your own piece of artwork using cold colours such as a painting, a collage or a drawing.
- Send photos of your artwork into your class teacher.
RE – This half term we have looking at Christianity (Jesus).
- Look at images of light sources and categorise uses of light, eg it removes dark, it guides, gives heat etc.
- Jesus is known as the ‘light of the world’. Discuss the meaning of this.
- Explore how light is used in Advent – use of advent candles, advent services.
- Learn about the Christingle:
- Focus on a lighted candle. Can they think of a time when they brought light to a situation? How?
PSHE – This half term we are looking at ‘How do we recognise our feelings?’
Talk to your helper about different feelings and emotions we have.
- Make a poster about the feelings we have. You could design different emoji’s that show different faces.
- Talk to your helper about the times you have felt sad, worried, happy, excited, scared.
- Think about how our bodies might change when we are excited, scared or are worried.
Music – This half term we are learning different Christmas songs.
- Learn to sing ‘Away in a Manger’ and ‘Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer’.
PE – This half term we are carrying out dance.
- Practice and create your own dance sequence to a song of your choice.
- Make up your own actions to ‘Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.
- Send us a video of your completed dance routines.